Dumpster Rental Systems offers a free integration to Intuit Quickbooks Online to sync your invoices and payments.
If you want to use the Quickbooks Integration, please read through this article IN FULL. There are may important notes and details to be aware of, especially when it comes to your accounting.
Things to Check/Verify PRIOR to Integrating:
- Ensure you invoice numbers in DRS to not conflict with Quickbooks invoice numbers.
- ERSPay/DRSPay merchant services statements must be on "Monthly" billing.
- We recommend recording Quickbooks revenue by "invoice".
- No tax information is sent to Quickbooks from DRS. You must setup taxes on the Quickbooks side.
- Stick with either Cash Accounting, or Accrual Accounting, but not both.
- Recording bank deposits in Quickbooks will report double revenue.
- Check your Quickbooks Customer sync setting in your DRS Control Panel: "Quickbooks Group Customers By" in Admin > General Config > Misc Settings.
Important Disclaimer: Dumpster Rental Systems cannot offer any legal or accounting advice for your specific business. This information is provided to help you and/or your accountant track revenue and expenses in Quickbooks. Please do not provide Dumpster Rental Systems with any information regarding your Quickbooks, bank, or financial information. This article incorporates the best practices used by hundreds of our customers. We strongly recommend hiring or consulting with an accountant or experienced Bookkeeper that has worked with systems integrations.
Warning: The default DRS invoice numbering starts at 1000. This number can be increased. If any DRS order numbers match an existing invoice number in Quickbooks, they will COMBINE. You do NOT want this to happen. Please ensure that your DRS invoice numbering is set above the invoice numbers in Quickbooks. Contact Technical Support to change your invoice numbers ("Minimum Order Number"), if needed.
Important DRSPay Note: You MUST be on "Monthly" statements for numbers to align in Quickbooks. There is a percentage deducted for each transaction, by default, which is NOT accounted for by Quickbooks. Switching to monthly will give you the full payment deposit, and you are billed monthly for the processing fees. For more information, contact DRSPay at: 512-872-1636 (Option 3) or email DRSPay@dumpsterrentalsystems.com.
Please contact Quickbooks for any changes required within the Quickbooks’ software. This article provides all of the available information and configuration options for the Quickbooks Online setup.
- This integration is ONLY compatible with Quickbooks Online.
- Desktop versions of Quickbooks are NOT supported.
Intuit Contact Information or call 1-800-4INTUIT (1-800-446-8848)
- Link up Intuit Quickbooks Online Account by navigation to Admin > General Config > Quickbooks Online. Press the “Click to Enable” button to sign into your Intuit Quickbooks account.
- If applicable, configure tax rate in Quickbooks using this support article: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/sales-taxes/set-up-your-sales-tax/00/186391
Successfully Configured and Syncing:
There are two ways of accounting and reporting to tax agencies depending on your business needs: Accrual or Cash. Ask your accountant which method you are using to report if you don’t know.
DRS supports both methods of reporting with various reports, as does Quickbooks Online. Since each method of reporting is different, accrual reports will never match cash accounting reports.
While you can view any report and gain useful information, you should know which to use for reporting to government agencies and you should ensure that you NEVER compare a cash to an accrual report as they will not (and should not) match, as mentioned above.
The cash method
If you use the cash method, you report income in the fiscal period you receive it whether it is in cash, property, or services. You deduct allowable expenses in the fiscal period you pay them, except prepaid expenses.
The accrual method
Under the accrual method, you have to report income in the fiscal period you earn it, no matter when you receive it. You can deduct allowable expenses in the fiscal period you incur them, whether or not you pay for them in that period. Incur usually means you paid or will have to pay the expense.
Quickbooks can automatically record revenue via the following methods:
- Sales Receipt
We recommend using “Invoice” as all billing and payments are conducted in Dumpster Rental Systems and then synced to Quickbooks Online with individual invoice information.
Order Syncing Details
- Once connected, only newly created orders will begin syncing.
- Syncing takes less than a minute.
- Orders will automatically sync again with any order submissions, payments, or a cancellation.
- Resubmit an order without payment (Submit Without Payment) to force a sync (including previously made orders prior to enabling the Quickbooks Integration).
- It is a one-way sync from DRS to Quickbooks. Any invoices created in Quickbooks will NOT be sent to DRS.
- Logs of all transactions are kept in the event of any syncing issues.
- If orders keep failing to sync, please contact Technical Support with the order number(s).
- Special characters in the customer name can cause syncing issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1: I am seeing duplicating revenue in Quickbooks?
Answer: Bank Account Deposits are automatically being recorded to an income revenue account. This appears as duplicated revenue as Quickbooks is counting your Invoices from DRS and the Deposits from your bank statements, both as income. Contact Quickbooks Support or your accountant to remove any automatic bank deposits from being counted as income.
Question 2: Why am I getting multiple customer records?
Answer: When syncing, “Josh” and “Joshua” are two different names. Any differences, including additional spaces, are recorded as new customer records. Ensure that names entered in DRS match the names in Quickbooks.
DRS provides a setting under Admin > General Config > Misc Settings to help control how customer information syncs. Search for “Quickbooks” using Ctrl + F (Command + F on Mac):
Note: While the system default is name and email, companies that do a large number of business-to-business transactions with the same companies may prefer to sync by Company Name.
Question 3: My invoices in Quickbooks do not match Dumpster Rental Systems.
Answer: Both Quickbooks Online and DRS offer both cash and accrual reports. The first step is to ensure that you are comparing "cash-to-cash" or "accrual-to-accrual" since mixing the two types of reports will never match. You also want to ensure your DRSPay merchant services are on "Monthly" billing.
Note: Dumpster Rental Systems does not send over any tax information. This can be configured on the Quickbooks side with the following Intuit Support Article: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/sales-taxes/set-up-your-sales-tax/00/186391
For Quickbooks Questions and Configuration Steps:
Intuit Contact Information or call 1-800-4INTUIT (1-800-446-8848)